When attempting to open a drawing from within AutoCAD, the drawing preview may not appear.
This can be fixed via a change in the Windows Registry.
- Open the Windows Registry (REGEDIT)
- Click on Start
- In the Search Programs and Features type REGEDIT
- In the programs list select regedit.exe
- In the Windows Registry Browse to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\AutoCAD
- Expand your version of AutoCAD (i.e. R19.1 = 2014)
- Expand your vertical of AutoCAD (i.e. ACAD-D001:409 = AutoCAD)
- Expand Profiles
- Expand your Profile
- Expand Dialogs
- Select ‘Select File’
- On the right double click on PreviewVisible to edit its value.
- Change the value from 0 to 1 and select OK.
- Verify that the value was changed and then exit the Windows Registry.
Now, when you go to open a drawing you should see a thumbnail preview in the right hand corner.
Warning! Problems caused by improperly editing the Windows registry could render your computer operating system unusable. Microsoft provides a wealth of critical information that you need to know about the registry in the Microsoft Knowledge Base at http://support.microsoft.com/support.
Use the Microsoft® Registry Editor only at your own risk and only after backing up the registry as well as the system.dat and user.dat files as outlined for your operating system in the Microsoft Knowledge Base and in the related solution, TS66513. Additional information about the registry is also contained in the Help topics in the Microsoft Registry Editor.